Open Recruitment Journalist Training “Sustainable Management of Marine & Coastal Ecosystems in the Arafura Sea & Timor Seas Region”
The Alliance of Independent Journalists (AJI) of Indonesia, with the support of the Arafura & Timor Seas Ecosystem Action (ATSEA) Programme invites active journalists in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and Timor-Leste to take part in a journalist training session entitled “Sustainable Management of Marine & Coastal Ecosystems in the Arafura Sea & Timor Seas Region”. This programme is designed to improve the capacity of journalists, to increase their understanding, sense of urgency and perspective on coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity and the climate crisis in the Arafura and Timor Seas (ATS) region.
What is the programme?
This programme aims to provide an advanced understanding and perspective on issues related to the protection of coastal ecosystems and marine biodiversity, the impacts of climate change and the management of coastal areas. In addition, the training will inspire a sense of urgency among journalists as implementers of press work on critical issues related to environmental sustainability, such as coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity and climate change. In addition, the training will encourage participants to get involved in public policy advocacy and raise the government’s awareness on issues related to coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity and climate change.
What is the programme duration?
This programme will run for three (3) months. After kicking off with a three-day online training course from 2-4 August 2022, trainees will complete the modules prepared by a team of trainers from the ATS region, each of whom has extensive experience in coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity and the climate crisis.
Training participants will have the opportunity to become the recipients of a an exclusive coverage fellowship, by submitting their proposals on marine, coastal ecosystems and conservation issues. Trainers will choose the 12 best proposals, which will be provided with a further one month of mentoring.
What are the benefits / outcomes of this programme?
– Internet cost reimbursement during training
– Become part of the ATS regional media network
– Meet with experts in the fields of coastal ecosystems, marine biodiversity, and the climate crisis from three countries
– Opportunity to earn a fellowship for reporting on marine, coastal ecosystems and conservation issues. The 12 best proposals will receive coverage of operational costs, amounting to IDR 10,000,000 (US$ 680), which will be used to produce journalistic works (news analysis or in-depth reporting)
– The results of participants’ coverage through the fellowship process for this programme will be published and distributed in three countries (Indonesia, Timor-Leste and Papua New Guinea)
Who is eligible to participate?
– Active journalists domiciled in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea or Timor-Leste from various media platforms (print/online, television and radio) with at least two years of work experience
– Willing and committed to participate in a series of activities
– Entry to this programme will be offered to a limited number of participants, through a selection mechanism that takes into account their background and experience.
How to apply
– Fill out and send the application form and the proposed coverage via this form: bit.ly/RegATStraining. The application deadline is 4 July 2022 at 3 PM (WIB).
– Submit some initial ideas for coverage, which will be implemented following the training, via the registration form.
– After being selected as a participant, you will be asked to send your latest CV, as well as a letter of recommendation from the editor to take part in this programme.
What is the process after selection?
Selected participants will participate in online training for 3 (three) days. The committee will inform journalists who have registered for this programme whether or not they have been selected.
After being selected as a participant, you will be asked to send your CV to the committee. The committee will also provide training materials and reimbursement of communication costs for all participants who pass and have participated in the entire series of events.
Need more information?
If you need further details on the topic or any other information, please send an email to: email@example.com with the subject: ATSEA Training.